2019, it’s a wrap!
How does this compare to 2018? Check it out How does this compare to 2017? Check it out How does this compare to 2016? Check it out
How does this compare to 2018? Check it out How does this compare to 2017? Check it out How does this compare to 2016? Check it out
After an easy motorail down to Punta de Mita we headed in to shore to some exercise and to see how the church is coming along. With the kayaks the beach landing was no problem and soon we were off. Of course Jean needed to get in a short run while Vicki and I walked around. Soon enough we regrouped…
It was a relaxing low power motor to Matanchén – well we did have the main and jib up. The low winds on our bow limited how much speed we got from the sails to 0.1 to 0.2 knots but at least it looked like we were sailing. Anchor set we headed to shore for some beach walking. Of course…
Crossing time. Oddly the wind was calm from 11:00pm until about 6:00am, we would get some gusts but nothing sustained. The plan was to depart at 8:00am after a big breakfast and that is exactly what we did. Getting out of the protection of the anchorage we were greeted with some 4-6 foot white capped waves just forward of our…
Pretty good winds (15-25 knots) were forecast for Sunday and Monday with a possible crossing window Tuesday. Wanting to get a good spot to hop off to the Mainland the plan was to head for Punta Bonanza where Jean and I crossed from last year. We wanted as early a start as possible since the winds would be on our…
Wow Nelly, up and moving by 6:30am we made our way down into the mouth of Bahia de La Paz. Winds started calm by within an hour were building as was the wind wave chop. We put up with it for awhile before the loud bangs got on my nerves and we fell off 10 degrees to attempt a better…
With the wind mellowed, we dropped the mooring ball pendant at 7:00am and made our move south to Los Gatos. As we approached Candeleros a SE swell hit us, the period was reasonable and the shape rolled the waves under us without too much discomfort. With the Jib out we added a few tenths of a knot to help fight…
We woke to wind, shocker. But still comfortable excluding the constant howl. Breakfast and then the anchor was raised for the short motor down to Punta Colorada with a planned either day stop or anchorage for the night. We had the jib out to help and also gave the starboard engine a blowout (full power to blow out carbon that…
Sadly it was departure day for Teresa and Jack. The question was could we drop them off in Loreto or would we divert to Puerto Escondido? Jack didn’t see any whitecaps but Vicki and I were skeptical since it had been blowing since 2:00am and the daylight was just creeping up. But we headed for Loreto, the first fifteen minutes…
Up with the sun we wanted to rush down to Ballandra in hopes of getting a good anchor spot before the winds started blowing from the north. We had the main and jib up for the entire trip but unfortunately not quite enough wind to shutdown the engine. Oh well. The most excitement came as we approached the anchorage. A…
Technically Tuesday, at 1:00am the wind piped up from the west. Of course this was un-forecast and meant we were on a lee shore. I was up for about an hour before the wind mellowed enough for me to be comfortable to fall asleep. Of course the residual waves lasted much longer but Strikhedonia and the other three boats stay…
With such a short stop in San Juanico I needed to squeeze in the climb up to the hill overlooking the bay. So just after 6:00am I was paddling into shore to begin my hike. My first visit here I hit a second peak that is more inland and today I started there. It is much steeper and challenging with…