Reunions in Santa Rosalia

The plan was to get an early start so that we could snorkel at Sea Pea Cove on Isla San Marcos. So off we went as the sky was getting light. The wind again allowing for some nice motor-sailing, at least until we were out of the mouth of Bahia Conception. As we rounded the south side of San Marcos clouds took over the sky and the wind picked up to 10 knots from the north. After a bit of discussion we all agreed that snorkeling would suck with low visibility and no sun to light the underwater world. So we pushed on to Santa Rosalia.

Pulling into our slip we had 15 knots pushing us on to the dock. The manager of the Fonatur and his staff pointed to our slip and I lined us up to back in. Everything was going perfectly, I timed the wind to push us just enough to get inside the slip but not hit the monohull we’d be sharing the space with. Dock line thrown we continued to backed up. Then it went pearshaped as he started to tie off the stern line to the middle cleat. What the?!?!? No, not there. Lack of Spanish slowed down correcting the mistake as did someone from another yacht yelling their advice. Did I fail to mention the ten people watching us dock? Yeah, love the added pressure. At this point the wind is kicking our bow towards the monohull, someone is screaming to throw a dock line and I make the decision to call off the approach. Of course at this point we have two dock lines in the water, whose goal is to wrap around our port propeller. Thankfully Jack and Shalise quickly pull them in and we head out for approach number two. Fransisco, the manager points to a narrower open slip and we position to back into it. Without the monohull to deal with, and maybe a bit less wind, in a couple minutes we are tied up.

Radu (Imagine) tied an extra bumper and I could relax and say hello to everyone. I had not seen Radu and his wife Katja in nearly two years. Come to find out, they spent last season working on their boat up in Puerto Pensasco. It was fun catching up and hearing about their time in the north part of the sea and on the hard in Penasco. But we had to cut our reunion short as duty called. Time to give Strikhedonia a good washing to get the salt off, and with unlimited water and three people it went quickly and soon we were headed into town for some sightseeing and ice cream.

Since I’ve visited before I was able to give them all the highlights, the city sign, the multiple city squares, the church designed by Eiffel (Eiffel town fame), and of course hit Splash for ice cream where Jack was not satisfied by his first ice cream cone and had to partake in a second. He was very happy with my suggestion of coco con pina – so good. We wandered around town looking at the brightly color houses and buildings made of wood imported from British Columbia back in the mining heyday. Took a stop to see what was available at the grocery store and said hello to the firemen (Jack recently retired from the Ogden firehouse).

Back to the marina I was told someone was looking for me. Huh. Who is that? What the heck is Gato Loco doing here? Turns out Lowell (Gato Loco) had planned to stop in Santa Rosalia and serendipity led us both to happen upon the marina the same night. What are the chances. After helping to rearrange a dock cleat for them a beer was offered and accepted. They had a wild ride from the mainland (San Carlos) over, with seven foot seas that would occasional travel from the bow up over the saloon and cockpit clearing the boat. Wow! Everyone was in good spirits and it was fun meeting the Gato Loco crew Todd and Chris who joined Rick and Lowell (who share ownership of the boat with two other couples). Beer drained with left them to eat dinner aboard Strikhedonia.

We had just finished eating when Lowell and crew hollered over to invite me to join them at Tonka restaurant. Sure, I grab my shoes and wallet and we are off. I pick Lowell’s brain along the way about our upcoming push north to Puerto Penasco (Lowell has cruised this area for 20+ years). Soon enough we come to a street filled with cars. Hmmm what is going on, oh yeah it is Mother’s day in Mexico. Walking in the place is packed, however Rick and Lowell are good friends with the owner and minutes later we are guided back to the “VIP” room. A private area with air conditioning and a big table. Drinks ordered we settle in. I barely notice Rick wander off. Soon word is passed along that we are moving to the main restaurant to allow for people watching. We settle in to our new table and find the NBA playoffs are on the TV – added bonus. A couple of the guys want ribs but are told they are sold out. However, Rick is persistent and talks to the owner Edwardo who tells us no problem, there will just be a forty minute wait. We aren’t in a rush so along with Rick’s request for muy picante ribs we relax with our drinks and enjoy the conversation.

The food arrives and we dig in. The ribs are massive. Is it possible to raise pigs with more ribs in Mexico? I’m not sure but it looks that way. I had only ordered some papa fritas but with so much food I’m quickly handed a couple ribs. And Tonka does not disappoint. They ribs tasted great and, as requested, the sauce burns my mouth, holy Hannah are they hot. Food devoured we make our way back to our boats. Well that is except for Todd and Rick who hang out until Edwardo has closed up the restaurant so they can hit the bars and a disco. I find out in the morning they stumbled in at 3:30am – keep in mind this is after a 5:30am departure and challenging sail all day. Impressive.

Shockingly everyone was up and moving on Gato Loco with the dock lies cast off before lunch time. These guys are rock stars.

No Comments

Leave a Comment